Biblical sites in Tel-aviv and around
The Church of Saint Peter – Jaffa
Saint Peter’s Church is in the Old City of Jaffa just 3 km south from our short term apartments in Tel Aviv.
The Franciscan church is built on the site where Saint Peter is said to have resurrected Tabitha, one of Jesus’ disciples, from the dead (Apostles, 9:36-43, 10:1-4).
The church resembles a European cathedral with its high, vaulted ceiling and stained glass windows. Services are held in English, Spanish, Polish, and Hebrew.
As the church stands on a hill overlooking the city and can be seen from the sea, over the years it became a sign for pilgrims that they were about to arrive in the Holy Land.
Situated in Old Jaffa just south of modern Tel Aviv.
The Coptic monastery/church was established in 1885 and originally served as a hostel for Coptic pilgrims on their first night in the Holy Land. The original hostel, now run-down and dilapidated, sits in the grounds of a Coptic Monastery, which also houses a Coptic Church, and a burial site for Bishops.
The church is decorated with figures of the Virgin Mary and many different saints and also has an impressive, red roofed bell tower. At this time, there is only one monk living in the monastery.
The Immanuel Church, Jaffa
Situated in Jaffa, construction of this beautiful church began in 1898 and was completed in 1904. This wonderful church is a with its stained glass windows and bell tower (the bell was donated by the German Kaiser Wilhelm) holds services on Saturdays and Sundays that are open to people of all denominations.
Visit the The Immanuel Church in Jaffa page for additional info